Random Card of the Day


Monday, September 25, 2017

Year: 2006

Set: Multi-Ad Lexington Legends (Rate)

Card: #28 Mike Smith


“ This is the kind of card that my sport's lacking. I, for one, am glad to see it. ” -Billy Kingsley

“ Mike Smith? It must be terrible to have a super generic name like that. ” -trauty

“ Nice that they gave the trainer a card. Is this his RC? ” -olerud363

“ The classic minor league team trainer card. The green border just looks tacky to me. ” -IfbBirdsCards

“ Trainers finally getting their due. ” -carthage44

“ I don't like minor league cards. I realize they have a place in the hobby, but not in my collection. This is actually not a bad looking card though. Clean front design and good photo. The back looks like a typical minor league card.....cheap. ” -cnangle

“ Just my opinion, too many minor league and soccer cards. ” -NJDevils

“ Bout time trainers get some love. ” -RoyalChief

“ Nice minor league card of a Trainer. The only time trainers get a card. ” -captkirk42

“ I really like the design concept of the front. Now, the subject matter is a different situation. I mean, good for him and all, but does anyone clamor for a card of the trainer? ” -mkaz80

“ I had the opportunity to attend a Lexington Legends game a couple of years ago while I was interviewing in town. Good times. ” -RoundtheDiamond87

“ I'm not a big fan of MiLB cards, but I love that occasionally some of the behind-the-scenes crew get the cards and credit they are due. ” -kents_stuff

“ Don't know if I've ever seen a card set that features a trainer. It's good for people that go unnoticed to get some recognition such as this. ” -rmitchell6700

“ The old minor league trainer card. It needs a bunch of random numbers scattered around, like those soccer game cards. ” -switzr1

Additional Comments

Posted ByMessage

Kep75

Posts: 103
Joined: Jan 2014

Monday, September 25, 2017 12:08 PMReply Quote Top Bottom Report

One of these days, a trainer will get a deserved action photo...


-------------------------------

Matt K.

Blog: Diamond Jesters

The House Of Cards

Posts: 10
Joined: Mar 2017

Monday, September 25, 2017 12:12 PMReply Quote Top Bottom Report

This is a part of the hobby that we have sadly forgotten about. How many of you collected the Minor League sets from your local team? This is most of the time a player's 1st card, before Bowman and Topps it was the Minor League team set that you could buy at the ballpark. Sometimes they gave these sets away to the 1st 500 fans of a home game. I have John Elway's 1982 TCMA Oneonta Yankees Card that I received in a trade a few years ago. I have seen this card sell for as high as $1200.00. So if you collect go to your local ballpark and buy the team sets, you never know what you may have in that set? Take Care


-------------------------------

I trade via Beckett only exceptions period.  So if you wish to use eBay prices then please move on. 

NJDevils

Posts: 2341
Joined: Sep 2010

Monday, September 25, 2017 12:25 PMReply Quote Top Bottom Report

No RC designation for the trainer?   Only for coaches?   Unfair to trainers!

vrooomed

Posts: 2683
Joined: Dec 2012

Monday, September 25, 2017 12:29 PMReply Quote Top Bottom Report

No RCs in MiLB sets.

NJDevils wrote:

No RC designation for the trainer?   Only for coaches?   Unfair to trainers!


-------------------------------

 -- Dan --

More years in the hobby than I care to admit.

DaClyde

Posts: 520
Joined: Sep 2008

Monday, September 25, 2017 12:36 PMReply Quote Top Bottom Report

I'm somewhat surprised the first Trainer card wasn't Sam Ayoub.  He's got 15 cards in the database!

sandyrusty

Posts: 863
Joined: Dec 2014

Monday, September 25, 2017 4:03 PMReply Quote Top Bottom Report

I like the MiLB sets and have several though not enough of them.  Whenver I travelled to a location that had a MiLB team, I checked to see if they were playing in town.  Went to a few in places like Little Rock, Edmonton and several teams in the Tampa area, even Winnipeg from the Independent League. I always checked out the store to see if they had any sets of cards available from the current and previous years.

The House Of Cards wrote:

This is a part of the hobby that we have sadly forgotten about. How many of you collected the Minor League sets from your local team? This is most of the time a player's 1st card, before Bowman and Topps it was the Minor League team set that you could buy at the ballpark. Sometimes they gave these sets away to the 1st 500 fans of a home game. I have John Elway's 1982 TCMA Oneonta Yankees Card that I received in a trade a few years ago. I have seen this card sell for as high as $1200.00. So if you collect go to your local ballpark and buy the team sets, you never know what you may have in that set? Take Care

vrooomed

Posts: 2683
Joined: Dec 2012

Monday, September 25, 2017 8:59 PMReply Quote Top Bottom Report

DaClyde & I got a nice assortment of Birmingham Barons sets (2005 to 2017) back in August. My son and I are in the process of opening, checking the checklists that are here, making checklists for the ones that aren't, and scanning the missing ones - and sheeting them when done with that. But we just started the other day. Love the MiLB sets.

sandyrusty wrote:

I like the MiLB sets and have several though not enough of them.  Whenver I travelled to a location that had a MiLB team, I checked to see if they were playing in town.  Went to a few in places like Little Rock, Edmonton and several teams in the Tampa area, even Winnipeg from the Independent League. I always checked out the store to see if they had any sets of cards available from the current and previous years.

The House Of Cards wrote:

This is a part of the hobby that we have sadly forgotten about. How many of you collected the Minor League sets from your local team? This is most of the time a player's 1st card, before Bowman and Topps it was the Minor League team set that you could buy at the ballpark. Sometimes they gave these sets away to the 1st 500 fans of a home game. I have John Elway's 1982 TCMA Oneonta Yankees Card that I received in a trade a few years ago. I have seen this card sell for as high as $1200.00. So if you collect go to your local ballpark and buy the team sets, you never know what you may have in that set? Take Care


-------------------------------

 -- Dan --

More years in the hobby than I care to admit.


Log in or register to post.

User Name:
 
Password:
 
  Remember Me
Register

  

Copyright © 2017
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.